Monday, July 25, 2011

Back on track

I apologize for the delayed post. The last 3 days havent been the smoothest.. but I am back. I am pretty sure you all are tired of this piece but I will do one last entry based on it, until I am able to catch up with and sit down with the artist.



Here is the image, for those that missed my first entry.





                                             

I would like to thank xKrakenx501 for piquing my curiosity when he wondered what it was made out of. Trying to catch up with the artist and deciding whether or not I'd be willing to disassemble this piece took the bulk of my time. Catching up with the artist David Rees, a recent graduate from the local Art college here, proved to be incredibly difficult. It annoyed me even more to find out that he dismissed the idea of an interview and wouldn't allow me to view or purchase any of his other works. This fact disappointed me a ton and realising that not all artist seek fame and attention ruined any hopes for entertaining you all, but it seemed to have re-instilled some hope into humanity. The artist was tall, relatively older than most undergrad students (early thirties), and very talented. Just by his presence and the way he presented himself convinced me that this guy knew what he was doing and that he had the talent to back him up. Though he did not allow me to photograph any of his other works hanging around the gallery within his house, he did help me take apart the piece I had won at an auction.




He also explained to me the name of the piece (Sable), and how he came up with the concept of the piece. 


He tells me that piece was originally supposed to be just a painting. After a few incidental marks on his works and knowledge that the newspaper clippings stamped onto the painting had no chance of standing the test of time. he then thought about weird ways to preserving the piece as best and as long as possible. He also tells me about insects being preserved in sap deposits for years and years to create unique samples of amber. This is the idea he had in mind for creating the illusion of an amber embossed painting.


I truly wish you all could see this in person. The textures, the feel, and even the smell was considered when creating this piece.




"The sable of northern Russia and Siberia (Martes zibellina)." is in the caption below the picture.

The piece, as noted before has two newspaper clippings attached to it. I apologize for the camera quality. I will be getting a better phone (thus a better camera) as soon as I am able to straighten out some loose ends.

The back of the painting looks like this..'







Again, just looking at this piece is not enough. The effort put into really molding both sides of the painting makes it one of my favorites. Though David Rees, the painter, doesn't plan to sell any of his works at this time. He is in the process to moving across the country (West coast) in hopes of establishing and displaying his style of work in local Museums and etc.


I hope to keep in touch with him and possibly have many more pieces of his work to show you all..





13 comments:

  1. great and wonderful stuff. i'm always surprised when I showed up here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOMENESS! You blog always get my attention!
    Keep doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, and glad to hear that your back in the game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have, again, a nice piece of art there. Keep blogging! I never get tired of looking those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are nice! I wish I could see them in person. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there. Thanks for your comment. Very cool blog. What a neat concept. Following you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a very interesting art piece. I would like to see it in a better definition, but it sure is interesting. Glad to have you back. Followed

    ReplyDelete
  8. In all honesty, I'm a little illiterate about artworks. I know I can learn from this blog's content. I want to know if I can link your blog back from mine.
    My blog is tech related, but even if this is not electronics, it still requires the use of technologies to achieve it. I will be following you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great artwork, very original.

    ReplyDelete
  10. really interesting entry!

    +following

    ReplyDelete